Revit freezes when PyRevit attached on fresh install

I have successfully PyRevit onto many of our company’s machines but for one machine, I’m running into the issue that Revit 2023 simply does not load after attaching PyRevit. This is the first and only plugin we’ve installed onto this fresh laptop (with a freshly installed Revit). We’ve installed this on another laptop that is exactly the same with the same steps - that one works fine, but I don’t understand why this one is not.

We’ve followed every instruction from the forums and it still hasn’t worked. It seems like there an uptick in folks who are having trouble with this.

Stuck on this screen

pyrevit env results

==> Registered Clones (full git repos)
==> Registered Clones (deployed from archive/image)
master | Deploy: "basepublic" | Branch: "master" | Version: "4.8.13.23182+2215" | Path: "C:\Program Files\pyRevit-Master"
==> Attachments
master | Product: "Autodesk Revit 2023" | Engine: IPY277 (277) | Path: "C:\Program Files\pyRevit-Master" | AllUsers
==> Installed Extensions
==> Default Extension Search Path
C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\pyRevit\Extensions
==> Extension Search Paths
==> Extension Sources - Default
https://github.com/eirannejad/pyRevit/raw/master/extensions/extensions.json
==> Extension Sources - Additional
==> Installed Revits
Autodesk Revit 2023 | Version: 23.0.11.19 | Build: 20220503_1030(x64) | Language: 1033 | Path: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2023\"
==> Running Revit Instances
Error: Access is denied
Run with "--debug" option to see debug messages
PS C:\Users\*****> pyrevit env
==> Registered Clones (full git repos)
==> Registered Clones (deployed from archive/image)
master | Deploy: "basepublic" | Branch: "master" | Version: "4.8.13.23182+2215" | Path: "C:\Program Files\pyRevit-Master"
==> Attachments
master | Product: "Autodesk Revit 2023" | Engine: IPY277 (277) | Path: "C:\Program Files\pyRevit-Master" | AllUsers
==> Installed Extensions
==> Default Extension Search Path
C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\pyRevit\Extensions
==> Extension Search Paths
==> Extension Sources - Default
https://github.com/eirannejad/pyRevit/raw/master/extensions/extensions.json
==> Extension Sources - Additional
==> Installed Revits
Autodesk Revit 2023 | Version: 23.0.11.19 | Build: 20220503_1030(x64) | Language: 1033 | Path: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit 2023\"
==> Running Revit Instances
Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Run with "--debug" option to see debug messages

The following image here never shows up:

Hi @tigsss,

The pyrevit version reported by the pyrevit env command is old, have you tried with the latest one?

By any chance, did you use the admin/allusers installer and the user experiencing the freeze is a regular, non admin one?

Hi, we tried the newest version of PyRevit - we tried an old version because I’m positive it works (I set up all the other laptops in the company using the old version and only one of the two new laptops with the newest version, all of which worked without a hitch).

I tried both installers multiple times and reinstalled Revit multiple times - none of which worked on that specific laptop (which we had just gotten).

The symptoms were similar to other posts on the forums except the resolution steps didn’t work for us. We had the person use another temporary laptop which was set up without a hitch, very strange!

I would like to add that one of our users experienced this recently. Revit would crash on startup without displaying any error message, so I had no idea what was causing it. Eventually IT figured out it was pyRevit so they disabled the add-in, which allowed Revit to start.

I really hope this is something fixable! Perhaps the latest version of pyRevit will work better, but this user doesn’t really need pyRevit right now, so I have not tried to reinstall. I’m afraid of causing another day or two of unproductivity.

The machine was recently upgraded to Windows 11. pyRevit worked for some time after the upgrade, then suddenly quit, so maybe it’s unrelated. The error has not shown up on all our machines, just this one.

I previously had an issue with a different user in which the user’s config file got corrupted somehow and prevented pyRevit from running, but Revit did not crash. Deleting the config and reinstalling pyRevit fixed it. If I have any similar issues again, I will try this fix.

Edit: Come to think of it, I think IT also rolled out a new “AI driven” security system to the affected user… perhaps we need to have pyRevit whitelisted…

SentinelOne?
That would not be a new issue, but one that came out too many times in the past couple of years

You are totally right Jean-Marc. It was SentinelOne.

After I pointed it out to IT, they were able to allow pyRevit through.

Thank you!

1 Like