Using the Telemetry with an SQL database

Heya,
Quick question here.
I want to setup a telemetry server in our company, but I’m not overly familiar with SQL databases.

I do remember that an SQL database needs very clearly defined tables.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to setting up a table for an SQL database specifically for the Telemetry service?

I’d opt for MongoDB if I could, but we have a MS SQL and MySQL license in our office, so it’d be silly not to use one of those.

@GertjanVDB Take a look at this page please

There are SQL scripts provided that list all the fields and their types for the tables. You can run this script in your database management app and it will create the table.

@GertjanVDB I was wondering if you used Telemetry for setting up an MS SQL Database connection at your workplace. I would appreciate it if you could share your workflow

Heya, sure I can try and help. What exactly would you like to know? My hunch is getting the telemetry server to connect to your db?

Here’s the approximate setup we’re using

1. I’ve got a server that is running the telemetry. It also has a MS SQL database installed
  2. I just start the telemetry-server using something along these lines:
pyrevit-telemetryserver.exe "sqlserver://{slq_username}:{sql_pass}@{host-ip}/{DB}?database={database_name} --port={port} --scripts={table_name}

Make sure to know what the name is of the db on your system.
For instance on my end it’s called the default SQLExpress, which makes my uri the following

pyrevit-telemetryserver.exe "sqlserver://user:pass@some.place.somewhere/SQLExpress?database=Telemetry --port=1234 --scripts=Scripts

I did at some point dive into the telemetry-server source code and modify it a bit… but … now I can’t remember if I’m running that modified version or not. I think I’m running the vanilla server.

I was really confused about the /DB?database part
just know that the {DB} is the name of the DB server, and the {database} is the name of the database inside the DB server

Feel free to provide more info

1 Like